Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mom

This Mother's Day, as well as all Mother's Days since July 3, 1995, reminds me that I had the very best mother any human could desire. She was always and ever my best friend. Mom was the only person in my life who loved me unconditionally. When I went to her for advice, she would tell me what she thought. Otherwise, she didn't offer advice, didn't interfere in my life, allowed me to make my own mistakes -- in short, let me be me.

My mother lived a life full of financial strife, but always believed our "ship would come in". She was loved by everyone who took the time to know her. As she aged, she became more outspoken and expressed her anger -- something I didn't see growing up. Mom was a stay-at-home Mom most of the time, although she went to work during the Korean War in a munitions plant. When I was in junior high school, she worked as a seamstress for a pants manufacturer. Later, after my father lost his eyesight and could no longer work, Mom went to work full-time in retail middle management and loved her job. She was there until her final illness at age 75.

There is never a day goes by that I don't miss her and wish she was still here with us. I wish I had enough words to express the love I had and have for her. My only regret is that I wasn't with her when she died.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a beautiful picture of your grandson...he has a really big head though

Unknown said...

Thank you, I think!! Actually, the angle of the camera changed the proportions of the painting. His head doesn't appear large on the real painting.

Powered By Blogger

Google Search

Google