Sunday, August 24, 2008

Is There Such a Thing as Too Sweet?

I have been neglecting my blog of late, probably because I have been doing so much freelance writing. In the process of SITTING and writing, my weight has increased and thus my blood glucose levels. I suppose when I see my PCP and my cardiologist the first week of September, some meds are going to be changed. I will be told to exercise, exercise, exercise. My response will be to say that I am exercising, though not as much as I should. I won't tell them it is my fingers which are being exercised on the keyboard! They don't like to hear about how miserable it is to walk when the temp is almost 90 with a matching humidity level. Or that there are steep hills in all directions from my house, making the prospect of walking seem like some kind of torture. Don't get me wrong -- I like to walk. I like to walk where it is reasonably flat. And cool. The trouble is, I must drive to get to a flat spot, and that takes gasoline which I hate to use too much of. I know, we are all in the same situation.

Today I went with my sister-in-law, niece, and grand-niece to the Diabetes Expo at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh. My niece is a Type-I diabetic, and uses insulin. We came away with so much literature, freebies, and information! Now if I could just get remotivated!

This was the first time I have been to the new Convention Center, and I was totally enthralled with the water feature installed outside the entry. It is probably one story deep and probably a block long, and has a pathway between the two walls of water falls, one on each side, along with two other flows of water on either side of the walkway. It is difficult to describe, but is well-conceived art, in my opinion.

The river side of the Convention Center has floor to ceiling windows giving those inside a lovely view of the river as well as a panoramic view of the city. Aside from once again appreciating the beauty of Pittsburgh, I kept thinking about the unseen big fish in the rivers. This made me think that I haven't been fishing lately. Hmm...maybe tomorrow.

After we left Pittsburgh, we stopped in Monroeville at Panera Bread for lunch. I LOVE Panera Bread sandwiches! My niece is getting married in November, so we stopped at another of my favorite stores, Pat Catan's, so they could find some wedding things. I, of course, spent all my time in the art department. This is the store where I purchase my art supplies.

But I digress. After all the WALKING I did today, and it was a lot, my blood sugars were very high tonight. It wasn't because I ate a lot, either. Go figure. This is one unpredictable disease.

But all in all, it was a very good day. I hope your day was as good.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Google Search

Google