Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sammy

Several years ago, I blogged about my brother's dog, Sammy, and an adventure we had. Sadly, Sammy passed away today and he will be sorely missed. He spent a vacation week with me last week, and seemed fine while he was here. I am reposting my piece from 2008 in memory of Sammy. Personal Commentary My Friend Sammy Since I've been holed up in my house writing for two days, I was determined to be outdoors today. The weather was perfect - low 70's and sunny - and I was missing it all. I called my sister-in-law to see if I could borrow Sammy, their elder dog. She said yes and added that Sammy loves to go in the car. I went to pick him up (I swear the dog is psychic - how did he know I was coming to take him somewhere? He ran right to my car and stood there til I opened the door) and off we went to Northmoreland Park. This is where I normally fish, though I haven't done any fishing lately, either. As soon as we arrived, Sammy was more than anxious to get out. My niece told me before we left to be careful because as soon as the door opened, he would jump out and take off. Sure enough, he pushed between me and the steering wheel before I could get the leash on. I pulled the door shut just in time, got the leash on, opened the door again, and out Sammy went. The leash wasn't too long, so out I went, as well, onto the concrete parking lot. The door shut with my car keys and cell phone inside! Although it wasn't completely shut, I couldn't open it, either. A half-locked door. I could see the darn keys hanging in the ignition, so near yet so far. I thought that we'd take our walk first and figure it all out afterwards. This is my Scarlett O'Hara persona. The brick paver path is 1.1 miles long, and is a lovely and fairly easy walk. Sammy was a happy little dog, smiling at everyone and wagging his tail. One lady said, "What a happy little mutt that is!" Sammy just smiled and looked back at me to see if I heard that. He was very obedient, didn't chase any other dogs, geese or ducks. Didn't growl or bark at anyone. When we finished and went back to my car, he stood there facing the door and looked back over his shoulder at me, as if to say, "Come o-n-n-n-n-n already!". Now I had to find a way to get the car open. I saw some fishermen nearby so we walked over to them and I asked if anyone had a coat hanger I could borrow? No one did, but they all came to my car to check it out. Another guy in the vehicle parked next to mine offered a pipe wrench to break the window. (*Gee, thanks, but no thanks!") Pretty soon, there were about twelve guys standing around my car! I asked, "Where are all the car thieves when you need them?" Everyone laughed, especially the teens. One of the guys divulged the info that he owns a used car dealership and has to get into cars almost every day. He just happened to have a broken fishing pole (I have one, too -- in the trunk of the car, along with a coat hanger). While one teenager held a tree branch between the door and roof of the car, the used car guy was able to hook the car keys, but they fell off the rod onto the floor before he could bring them out. He kept trying, and finally pushed the manual lock open and voila! The door opened. Sammy couldn't have jumped into the car any faster. He sat there looking at me as if he was saying, "What are you waiting for?" I thanked everyone and off we went. Sammy was happy when we reached his home! I may ask to take him out again one day, but he may refuse. He is good company, though. My niece told me before we left that walking with a dog is a good way to meet men. Yup, it sure was! But they were all teens or married. Just my luck! Previously published on Google Blogspot by Suellen McCollim, August 10, 2008

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Google Search

Google